Monday, October 29, 2007

You Remind Me Of

Have you ever been told you remind them of someone or you look like someone else? When you first hear this you cringe and hold your breath…Please don’t say I look like Lyle Lovett! Or Rosie O’Donnell!

When I was 19, I was told I looked like Ali McGraw in Love Story. (Great Old School cry scene movie.) I wasn’t surprised I looked like her…I had long brown hair parted in the middle, brown eyes….half the population back then looked like her. Add a streak of white and I could have looked like Morticia from the Addams Family.

My hubby has been told he looks like….Jeb Bush. Laugh now, but then keep it short. He doesn’t exactly like this comparison…You know, I can kinda see what people are seeing but Pauly is way better looking and not the chubster that ole Jeb is (just ask him)!jk The woman who cuts his hair gets a kick out of calling him Jeb and people even stop him in airports, restaurants….Maybe he should try walking into the White House as ole Jeb and have a look around.

The other day a salesman told me that I reminded him of someone…not my looks but my actions. I was at the Pottery Barn and the fella there was trying to sell me extra stuff, even after I had already made a decent purchase…. “Stop already, with selling stuff!” So he says, “You might want to get the caterer’s boxes of wine glasses and plates for Thanksgiving just in case you need more.” I said to him, “No thanks. You know, I’m all set with that. I have had Thanksgiving every year for the last 11 years and I have it down to a science. I even have a “Thanksgiving” folder where I keep notes from every year...like who brought what, how much turkey we got, what we should do next year.” He looked at me and said, “ooooooooo, that is so Bree of you. You know Bree from Desperate Housewives.” What a knucklehead, of course I know Bree from Desperate Housewives…now if I looked like her that would be okay, but to be like her ….

OMG when you think about it….my actions do sound anal retentive (nasty expression)…. just like Bree Van de Camp. I never would have thought of myself as her so of course, I had to defend myself! “You know, I’m not really like that…I’m not like Bree at all. I just want to have a nice Thanksgiving and make it easy on myself. I really am not that organized.” You could tell what he was thinking, “Sure lady, you are Bree. Who keeps a Thanksgiving folder? Just the Wackos.”

So the next time you say to someone, “You know who you remind me of?” Be very careful what you say, because they just might return the favor and say, “Well you look like Willie Nelson or you remind me of Hillary Clinton!

No comments: