Saturday, October 20, 2007

I'm Baaaaaaacccccckkkk!!!!

Florida was great….what’s not to like about Florida, the Sunshine State. The flight down was uneventful so that is why I am able to sit here instead of the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean. Uneventful flight = good flight.

It was wonderful to see my grandmother and Uncle Ellie and they seemed very happy to see us. In case you’re wondering…Uncle Ellie is my grandmother’s husband. Grandma has been married to Ellie for 36 years since my grandfather died. My grandfather, Ross, died at age 51 so then my grandmother married Ellie. We call him Uncle Ellie although he is like my grandfather by now. I gotta give you a little more background here…Uncle Ellie was married to my Great Aunt Fan. Fan was first married to my grandfather’s brother, Bud. After Bud died at age 31, Aunt Fan married Ellie. So then after Aunt Fan died and my grandfather died, Ellie and Grandma got married. It’s all really kosher and everything …it’s not like my grandmother married her brother or anything!!! So I know what you are thinking…. set the snooze alarm....enough of the genealogy already.

While there we stayed in the retirement park where grandma lives. It was a 2 bedroom, 1 ½ bath manufactured trailer unit. Actually very cute. I especially loved my bedroom. It was like sleeping in a closet which I have since found can be very handy. While lying in my twin bed I could touch the built-in closet on one side with one hand and at the same time touch the wall to the bathroom on the other side. How cool is that? So while I was lying in bed I could pull my clothes from my closet, put them on, swing my legs over to the other side of the bed, take one step and brush my teeth. If that isn’t efficiency…don’t know what is.

So let’s see …there were no special dinners or special dances at the park last week. That big fun doesn’t start until December. I have had the privilege of attending one of their Hawaiian Luaus in the past so I know what goes on. First thing I know for sure is that everyone has a rippin’ good time, especially after the Mai Tais kick in. Another thing I have noticed is there are a few devious and crafty widows who have their fingers crossed hoping that the other woman (probably their friend) will keel over so they can move in on the woman’s husband. They are circling like vultures waiting to pounce on their prey. (Sorry, I guess I’ve been watching too much Animal Kingdom.) But as statistics show….it’s usually the other way around, and the man kicks the proverbial bucket before the woman. ‘So good luck Mabel, if you think you can scoop ole Henry over there in the corner.’

The best thing about the trip was seeing that my grandmother was feeling better. She had gotten Shingles…..which sounds like she was going to do a little carpentry work on the outside of her house, but just ask her, it sure isn’t. Anyway, my grandma who is almost 93 seems to be getting through the worst of it. I would like to think that seeing our smiling faces…..you know… family, relatives, people who love you…. was the reason she started feeling better. I’m hoping grandma lives way past 100 years old….it would be fun to see Willard Scott wish her a “Happy Birthday.” Plus I’m hoping I might have inherited those longevity genes, cuz the ones from grandpops and his bro don’t look too promising. Go Grams!!

Anyway, it is good to be baaaaaaaacccccccckkkkkkkck….

No comments: