Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Happy St. Patrick's Day



“Ye take the high road…And I’ll take the low road... And I’ll be in Ireland afore ye." (I took the liberty of changing the words. You say Scotland, I say Ireland. Same vicinity, different island, close enough.) So I’m taking the low road today and posting an excerpt from last year’s St. Patrick’s Day blog. I’m in a wicked pissa hurry to get to my clogging lessons.

Paddy PaulA, being the Irish bloke that he is…likes to say to me: “The next best thing to being Irish is marrying Irish.” On St. Patrick’s Day, it doesn’t matter who came over on the boat…everyone is Irish. And I’m no exception…I’m right there with the rest of the Irish-posers…wearing “the green” and my blinking “Kiss Me I’m Irish” button. Yep, right there…singing “When Irish Eyes Are Smiling”, downing a green stout, and passing a blarney stone.

Anywho.....

On St. Patrick’s Day, when the kids were little and believed just about anything we told them…(back when we could really mess with their minds)…the leprechaun would visit our house in the wee morning when they were sleeping and turn everything green. They would find green milk for their cereal, green bottled water, green mashed potatoes, and the best yet…a kid’s dream…green water in the toilets. They would run from one bathroom to the next…checking out the toilets to see if the leprechaun had left them his calling card. Lucky for them…a little green was all they found.

And as luck would have it...green Guinness for the parents.

So “Top O' the morning to ya”… “May love and laughter light your days”…. “May the road rise up to meet you”…and whatever else the Irish say.


Happy St. Patrick’s Day, lads and lassies...and special Irish blessings to my trinity...Big C, Colinboy, and Wishy.


O’katOUT

4 comments:

big C said...

I was just telling Lita how you always use to do this :) I miss it! I am wearing green at work today

big C said...

I was just telling Lita how you always use to do this :) I miss it! I am wearing green at work today

big C said...

I was just telling Lita how you always use to do this :) I miss it! I am wearing green at work today

Anonymous said...

PaulA is right...Freud said that the Irish are the only people impervious to psychoanalysis. Being Irish, I don't know what that means, but there you have it...

BA