Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Sensibility

Why is it when kids are playing with a ball or something hard, inevitably I will get hit …sometimes in the arm or leg….but usually in the head?

I have been hit in the head by footballs, basketballs, tennis balls…you name it. I admit, I have never been hit in the head with a bowling ball…although I’ve hit (myself) with one in the leg. When I was a novice figure skater teetering on ice skates….hockey players leaving the ice whipped the puck across the ice and knocked me off my skates…that was before helmets.

I’ve heard of the law of averages…..but this doesn’t add up. I am definitely above-average on head hits, so I have out-averaged the law. One thing for sure…the mode of this median is mean.

And then there’s Donnelly’s Law. Excuse me, Murphy’s Law (different Irishman)… “If anything can go wrong, it will.” I am always the person the ball seeks out. I could be sitting in a circle with 5 other people and the ball chooses me. Why is that?

I’m not exactly sure, but I’m guessing I look like a person who needs some sense knocked into…a little sensibility. Especially judging from the sounds of this blog.

To regurgitate…I mean, reiterate…last week I spied 3 young boys throwing the lax ball in a friendly game of catch on the beach. I decided they were far enough away from me…so I proceeded to doze in my chair. Whack…their lax ball hit the side of my head. “Oh, so sorry lady, we didn’t mean to hit you.”

“That’s okay kids. Thanks to you…my blogs might make a little more sense from now on.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I also got whacked in the head by a lax ball at the same beach this summer! Must be because were related.