Wednesday, January 26, 2011

It's Whats For Dinner


Are you a meat eater? Or are you a carrot carrying member of the veggie-atarian society?

I could never be confused with a veggie-atarian. I eat meat with many different faces...some cuter than others. I’ve been known to eat pork, burger, ham, turkey, chicken, but never dog meat. Ruff. Rough. I wouldn’t want my Vet mad at me. And Duncandog might give me the cold shoulder blades.

Even though I’m a card carrying carnivore...I don’t eat a lot of red meat. That’s mainly because I don’t like to see red meat in its au natural form. Whenever I see it displayed in the butcher shop case with all that red flesh pressed next to each other...I get the heebie jeebies.

It might have something to do with haunting flashbacks from when we lived on Wheelus Air Force Base in Tripoli, Libya, North Africa. Yes folks...I’m an Air Force brat. (“Brat” is actually a term of endearment for children of parents in the military...not bratty spoiled Lindsay Lohans.)

After school I would take the base bus to a ceramics class. That bus ride provided me with an enriching, eye-popping education...that still haunts me today.

Before getting to my ceramics class, the bus went through the Main gate and off base...by an open Arab market where huge carcasses of red meat hung in the open air...covered with flies. And next to the hanging meat were men bathing in the open baths. Both the men and the meat were au natural. Being exposed to that much exposed meat...in all forms...gave me the heebie jeebies.

Anywhooooo................

This is sooo random, (but this is how my mind works)....when I think of red meat...I think “butcher” and then I think “Brady Bunch.”

Remember the meaty romance on The Brady Bunch between Alice and her beefcake boyfriend, Sam-The-Butcher? They had a lot in common...both had a love of meat. (I’m tiptoeing around lewd meat jokes.)

Ya know...I never understood how Alice wasn’t turned off by Sam-the Butcher’s bloody apron. She must not have been exposed to meat hanging in an open market dotted with flies.

Double Anywhooooooooooo...........

“Beef "...It’s what’s for dinner...should you still have an appetite.

1 comment:

Frances said...

Sam-The Butcher! So funny!

My mom and I use to watch the Brady Brunch together. I had forgotten about him..