Thursday, January 20, 2011

Elevator Etiquette



When I’m staying in a hotel, the first thing I need to find when I wake up is a cup of Joe. The idea of making coffee in one of those germ breeding hotel coffee makers, using water from the bathroom sink faucet is a total turn-off.


So I am forced to get dressed in my best business blogger outfit and leave the room…in search of the almighty Joe. Into the world I must venture...


The elevator doors open and I get in. I wait for the doors to close. I hear footsteps.


Hmmm…….Decision time: Are you nice (like PaulA) and hold the elevator for the person you hear coming? Do you press the ‘Open Door’ button? Maybe you stick your hand in the doors and wait for the person to come around the corner?


OR…


Do you try (like hell) to get the doors to close as fast as possible….pushing the ‘Close the damn Door’ button…over and over…to get the doors to shut before they get there? (like mwwaaa)


Regardless of how hard I try...the intruder puts his big foot in the door and manages to get in. So there I am...standing with the elevator intruder…wondering if he knew I just tried to shut the door in his face.


Anywhoooooo………


I am aware of social protocol involving the elevator, so I do my best to be pleasant. I manage to mumble, “Good Morning”…which is major for me to string 2 words together…seeing I haven’t found the almighty Joe yet. After an attempt at elevator etiquette I stare at the floor…Nice buff job on the shoes, Mr. Intruder...I can see myself.


After what seems like a 5 minute elevator ride to the lobby…the doors open. And I am free to make my way out. Free to find coffee.


Score! A Starbucks. (Not exactly DD’s, but it feeds my caffeine addiction.) Back to the hotel to blog.


With coffee in one hand, a bagel in the other, and my room key in my mouth…I scurry to make the elevator. I see the elevator doors starting to close and I’m quite certain someone is inside who will hold them open for me. As I approach………


…the elevator doors close…in my face.


What the hell? I know there was someone hiding in there...they could have held the damn doors open for me.


Where is their elevator etiquette?


Chinese proverb say: With elevators...what goes up, must come down. With elevator etiquette: What goes out....comes back around.

1 comment:

Bri @ Sea said...

haha! this is SO SO SO true!