Monday, July 19, 2010

Rule Stretching


Would you consider yourself a rule person? There are those including myself who are definite rule people. Not that I lay down a lot of rules, but I follow them.

And then there are those who think rules were made to be tested. Ahhh…sometimes that would be Colinboy. People like Colinboy don’t always follow every rule to a T. He’s more creative. He likes to bend them around…into an “O.”

I’m not saying he’s breaking cardinal rules…or road rules. He’s not a bad Colinboy. No, he falls into the rule stretcher category. He thinks some rules are flexible like rubba bands and hamstrings…made to be stretched.

Besides…rule stretching is all a matter of semantics anyway. Heck, politicians do it all the time. Bill Clinton tried to stretch the definition of the word “is.” He tried to give a small word...extra definitions. Colinboy might have a future in politics.

Oprah is trying to enforce the rule of “no talking or texting on your cell phone while driving.” It seems like a good rule…and like Colinboy says, “should be easy for Oprah. She has a personal driver.”

Anywho……………

I’m a rule proponent…follower…adherer. I stick to the rules like gummy bears to my crowns. Because I know for sure… if we didn’t follow the rules, there would be total chaos in the world.
I know you are thinking that I can’t be all goody three shoes…all the time. That I must have broken some rule…sometime. Well, I have a confession to make...

I recently entered the EXIT door at CVS. I know...it was wrong.

The EXIT door was wide open and was the closest door to me...so I went for it. I first looked over my shoulder…hoping I wasn’t captured on the CVS security camera.

I know the EXIT door is made for people leaving the store and should never be used as a means of entry. Someone could have been leaving the store when I was entering and a collision could have occurred.

I hope my infraction doesn’t make Colinboy think that it’s now okay to go from rule stretcher...to rule breaker.

I guess I better watch myself. I hear rule breaking is a slippery slope. Before I know it I might start breaking other hard and fast rules…like the rules of grammar, the rules of chess, the rules of exponents...and..…the rules of golf.

(Mother of golf…Say it isn’t so.)

No comments: