Friday, April 22, 2011

Happy Easter






As I walked through the Taj MaMall this week, my heart did the panga. It might sound like I was doing a little salsa or zumba, but actually it was my heart panging at the sight of all the sweet Easter outfits for children.

Ahhh…Easter at the Taj MaMall. Sights of sweet dresses with bows and sashes, Easter bonnets, little purses, and white patent leather shoes. Little plaid outfits for boys with Peter Pan collars. Those were the days my friends….Big C, Colinboy, and Wishy dressed in their Easter finest.

Kids love searching for their hidden Easter baskets as much as discovering what’s in them. A little note from the Easter Bunny with a rhyming rap...always helped our kids find their baskets. “Yo yo, E.B. here...get your rear in gear…look for your basket where ya daddy stashes beer.” (Okay, not exactly that rhyme…something a little sweeter.)

I’ll never forget a particular Easter, many Easter moons ago when I was just a kitten and not a Kat...the Easter Bunny brought me the best basket ever. Nestled in the green grass...I found an adorable yellow chick, a pack of candy cigarettes, and a pen that resembled a cigar. I believe I was the recipient of the Junior Smoker’s Easter Basket. I loved it. I could smoke my candy cigarettes while I did homework with my cigar pen.

Anywhoooooooooooooooo………………….

As I walked through theTaj MaMall…I came upon the Easter Bunny holding center court...and a little boy sitting next to him with a look of panic on his face.

I understand why kids would be creeped out by the Easter Bunny. The hollow head of the mute Easter Bunny with his fixed eyes and occasional head nod…doesn’t compare to the jolly rosy-cheeked Santa Claus. I think I remember torturing my kids once (or twice) with a visit to the 6-foot stoic hare. They learned to smile quickly for the camera…so they could get the heck out of there.

This Easter…I’m remembering Easter mornings long ago when after church the house was filled with joy and...candy wrappers, green plastic grass, patent leather shoes, bonnets, and a clip-on tie…strewn across the floor.

Those were the days, my friends. We’d thought they’d never end.

Happy Easter!

No comments: