Friday, February 26, 2010

The Button


It’s not often I go to a public beach. I prefer our quiet, pristine, PRIVATE beach….but every now and then…I can really appreciate time on the beach with the asses. Like I said, the masses.

And the public beach in Fort Lauderdale, is not your normal ass beach… although I have found that it has changed since I last visited it during my college spring break, freshman year…back when Fort Lauderdale was Wild Ass Central.

What an eye opener it was for me…back then…circa 1865. Little Vermont girl goes to the Beach. I drove down from the University of Vermont with a bunch of girls…30 hours later we were enjoying the sun, surf, and turf. What stood out for me was the miles of bodies…packed like sardines on the beach, and packed like sardines in The Button.

The Button…a college bar on the Fort Lauderdale strip…when the drinking age was only 18…and the thinking age was even less.

While I was in Fort Lauderdale, I looked to see if The Button still existed. No Button. It appeared The Button had been sewn shut, and the area cleaned up with many nice hotels.

So I got to thinking about The Button and how it got its name. Maybe it had something to do with thousands of exposed belly buttons…but I think The Boob would have been a more fitting name…especially with the nightly wet T-shirt contests. I remember my reaction when I saw what was going on. Yikes! The last time I had seen that many exposed teats was on the dairy farm.

A little further down Interstate 95 from Fort Lauderdale is South Beach….another popular public beach. Definitely no buttons…or buttoning going on in South Beach…just miles and miles of boobs and biceps.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

had me laughing out loud!!! good one KAT! your trip sounds like buckets(or pails) of fun!!

-wishy

Anonymous said...

had me laughing out loud!!! good one KAT! your trip sounds like buckets(or pails) of fun!!

-wishy

Anonymous said...

had me laughing out loud!!! good one KAT! your trip sounds like buckets(or pails) of fun!!

-wishy