Friday, November 27, 2009

Left-Over Blog

What’s your favorite Thanksgiving food? The turkey? The stuffing? The cranberry? For me…it’s all of the above…eaten 6 hours later…the left-overs.

Normally, unlike PaulA, (I’m not saying PaulA is not normal) I will have nothing to do with left-overs. I just can’t sink my teeth into the idea of left-over anything. But when it comes to Thanksgiving left-overs…bring it on.

And seeing today is the day after Thanksgiving…I am posting a left-over blog from last year’s Thanksgiving. Which makes it quite stale. But hey, it's Black Friday…the Taj MaMall calls.

Cooking Wonders
Thanksgiving is over…and everyone wobbled home fat and happy…which is more than I can say for Mr. Tom Turkey. I wouldn’t consider myself a gourmet cook…but I can manage Thanksgiving…and I always find ways to entertain myself in the kitchen.

Peeling 10 lbs of potatoes can be very relaxing…and very revealing. The day before Thanksgiving I stood at the kitchen sink peeling away…deep in thought about the poor turkey who gave his life for a family of 21. Before I knew it, I realized my potato was taking shape. I was seeing a face just wanting to bust out of the spud. Now I know what Michelangelo felt like…seeing David emerge from the plaster.

So I kept whittling away…and then I saw it...Abraham Lincoln Potato Head. I knew I recognized that long face …longing to be freed. Another potato to whittle…next up… Bill Clinton.

After carving a series of presidential potato heads…I moved to making cranberry brie. The cranberry topping calls for small amounts of many different spices. As I was adding the spices…I wondered what dry mustard smelled like. Was dry mustard like its cousin…wet mustard? I’m still not sure what dry mustard smells like. But I do know…it burns the inside of your nose.

So if you wonder what I am doing in the kitchen the day before Thanksgiving…I am snorting spices and whittling presidential heads out of baking potatoes.

Who said cooking wasn’t entertaining?

No comments: