Monday, November 2, 2009

The Fix-it Gene

I drove by men working on electrical poles the other day and got to thinking …Is their job stimulating? Do they get juiced, working from those buckets 70 feet in the air? How do they know what to do with those wires?

There are some folks, like my cousin Shannon, who are hard-wired when it comes to understanding currents, conductors, and circuits. His great, great grandfather (how great was he?) had the patent on the first electric motor…so obviously Shannon inherited the Fix-it gene. That explains why as a kid, he wired the door knob to shock you when you entered. He always got a charge out of that…and so did you.

I’m glad there are those, like Shannon, who know their AC from their DC. I think that’s my problem right there …I don’t know my ass-C from my elbow-D.

I have to say PaulA is a fix-it man. He’s very good about repairing things…the garbage disposal, garage door opener, dishwasher…plus he can put anything together. Very impressive fix-it skills coming from a man with a girl’s name.

When something isn’t working…I get frustrated and say to PaulA: “Fix-it…just fix-it.” Remember the “Fix-it” routine from Saturday Night Live Weekend Update with Amy Pouler and Seth Myers… when Oscar Rogers would repeat “Fix-it” over and over? Every time he would say “Fix-it…just Fix-it. It’s broke…now fix-it” I would laugh my ass-C off.

My mother has the Fix-it gene, but unfortunately never passed it on to me. Instead…I’m another Oscar Rogers. We have the gene that tells OTHER people to “Fix-it…just Fix-it. It’s broke…now fix-it. Fixxxxxxx-itttt. Fix-it.”

Whoops. There it goes again…I get a jolt every time…I’m currently laughing my ass-C off.

No comments: