Friday, June 27, 2008

You Too!

Is it me? Is it just me? Hopefully, not. Here’s the scenario: You are in a store, at a dentist’s or doctor’s office and a person says, “Have a nice day”…and you respond, “You too.” Now that makes perfect sense and is very appropriate. The awkwardness is when a salesperson says, “Here’s your change”….and you respond, “You too.” (Whoops) Without a thought, the “you too” just dribbles out of your mouth.

Sometimes we are just so conditioned to say things to an expected response…like Pavlov’s dog...although the dog never talked. I was driving on the New Jersey Turnpike and we stopped at a rest stop for a little TCBY. After handing me a tub of frozen yogurt, the woman said, “Drive safely”…and I responded, “You too.” Whoops! The toll booth operator took my change and said, “Have a good day”…and I responded, “You too.” (Whoops…again) (Kinda awkward…the person is trapped in a cage on the Turnpike.)

I’m shopping at the Taj MaMall and the sales lady says, “Thanks for shopping with us.”… “You too.” (Whoops!) Come back and see us… “You too.” I just can’t stop myself.

The other day I answered the phone while I was talking to Bri. As I was about to hang up on an annoying solicitor selling phone services …I caught myself before saying, “Bye…love you.” (Whoaaaaa!)

Bye for now…Love you. You too!

No comments: