Wednesday, February 6, 2008

A New Low

I have reached a new low…I admit it. If the writer’s strike doesn’t end soon, I will sink to the deep dark bowels of TV land. All that is on TV these days are reality shows. One night I had my pick of: “Deal or No Deal”, “American Idol”, “Wife Swap”, “American Ballroom Challenge”, “Moment of Truth”, and the worst thing ever on TV:

Crowned/Mother of all Pageants”…
I had never heard of this show and happened to catch the final episode. Basically, the show is a beauty competition with pairs of mother/daughter teams competing against each other. This show takes the cake…wait, they don’t eat cake. One mom had to sit down on the stage because she felt light-headed and dizzy…she actually asked someone to bring her chicken or a hamburger. The talent competition lacked talent. The mom of one team played the piano off-key, while her daughter sang like an alley cat and forgot the words. The BEST -EST part of the entire show, is when a team is voted off the show by the judges ….they pull out GIANT jewel encrusted scissors and the emcee (Jack loser Wagner) says, “It is now time for one team to be de-sashed.” Then with the lethal scissors (quick, run), they cut the sashes off the losing team saying, “You have been de-sashed, please leave the stage.” Are they serious? I am still laughing.

Then what do I do after watching the Mother of all bad shows….I follow it up with “Moment of Truth.” You’ve seen the promos…they ask personal questions which have been previously confirmed with a polygraph machine. So if contestants tell the truth and announce to the world, “Yes, I have been ‘cozy’ with my boss’s wife…Yes, I have spent our family’s life savings at the blackjack table….” They win money. Who cares that they don’t have a life after they leave the show.

I am not helping matters by tuning in…I need to turn off the TV and get out my book. Or help the networks come up with better Reality TV. Here’s a great idea… a combo of the 2 shows….

“The Mother Moment of Truths”…Where mother/daughter teams compete by answering personal questions…“Do you think I am prettier than my sister?” Teams that tell the truth, move on and teams that don’t…gets desashed AND stabbed in the back with the jewel encrusted scissors.

A newer low.

No comments: