Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Red Sox Game-Drizzle and Distractions

There’s nothing like wearing your team’s colors and attending a Major League Baseball game…America’s favorite past time. This past Father’s Day, PaulA, Colinboy, Wishy and I, dressed in our red shirts, joined 39,000 other fans and fathers at a Boston Red Sox game. (We missed our Big C.) Red Sox vs the Braves. And the Sox beat the braves….na, na, na, na, na.

Go Red Sox. Go Red Sox. I’m doing the wave right now, but having a hard time keeping it going. Note to self: need more than one person to do the wave.

There’s nothing like going to a game at Fenway Park…even bad weather can’t dampen a true Red Sox fan’s spirits. We drove to the game in the drizzle…sat in the drizzle…watched the Red Sox win in the drizzle…and ate our faces off in the drizzle. It was a great game…drizzle and all. Now that I think about it, everything is enhanced when you add drizzle…especially chocolate drizzle, my favorite.

When I’m in the ballpark…I’m distracted by everything and everyone around me…which is a good thing. That way if things start to go South, I’m not feeling the pain. Watching the Red Sox on television at home, I’m more focused on every hit, every run, every steal, every error. But in the ballpark I have a lot of distractions…mainly due to the fact that…all the knuckleballs are not on the field.

There is usually a knuckleball head sitting in front of me. You know the type…there is one knuckleball head…or a thousand knuckleball heads in every ballpark in America. Their main mission is to be annoying to everyone around them…for the next 3 to 4 hours and extra innings…if need be. First they’re up...then they’re down…then they try to squeeze play by you. Could someone just throw them out?

Another great distraction is the food. The food is so much better in the ballpark than at home. Bring on the hot dogs, popcorn, peanuts, beer. I ate all the junk food my stomach could handle without bringing back the 8th in the 9th.

You just gotta love the peanut vendor…throwing his nuts at people from 6 rows away. And the beer vendor…yelling in his Boston accent: Get ye be-ah he-ah. And the other knuckleball heads behind me…spilling be-ah and crackin' nuts on my red shirt.

One of my all time favorite distractions is the music they play between innings. It sounds great booming over the loud speakers. I even love the rap: “gonna party like it’s my birthday.” But my all time fav is singing “Take me out to the Ballgame” in the 7th inning and “Sweet Caroline” in the 8th. They even played “Joy to the World” …not the Christmas version, but the “Jeremiah was a Bullfrog” version…which I hadn’t heard in ribbits of years. It’s hard to not break out in song.

Nothing like an afternoon in Fenway Park watching the Red Sox play…drizzle and all. Wicked pissah.

No comments: