Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Speed Perspective

I would not say I am a speed freak and have the need for speed. But like everyone, sometimes I can get going a little too fast. It’s a beautiful day…and I’m singing to the radio. Before I know it, I am going 10-15 mph over the speed limit. Yikes, a cop could be anywhere….

The thing that yanks me is when I am moving right along and come up behind someone driving slowly … someone who ruins my momentum. The person is driving the posted speed limit, but it seems like he's hardly moving…so I brake and think the ole Codger is a pain in the (_!_). Now, I am stuck on some small country road going exactly 30 mph. I am thinking of a few choice words for the man in front of me. I get a little closer to his bumper… “Do you see me crawling up your tail pipe, Codger?”

The next thing I know, we go over a hill and I see a Cop hiding on the side of the road behind some bushes. But he can’t pull me over…I am going the speed limit. I am such a law abiding citizen.

Now all of a sudden, I like the ole guy in front of me. Codger saved me. I don’t have to sweat it out and keep checking my rearview mirror…thinking at any moment, the blue-lights and siren are headed my way. (Like last week.) I am so happy with Codge that I want to make him my BFF…give him a pat on the back…Thata boy. I want to hug the guy….

Until after the next 10 miles…Codger is still going exactly 30 mph. I have had enough of this crap. “Come on, you slow son-of-a-gun….put some lead in it…get your butt moving…I don’t have all day!”

It is funny how quickly things can change with perspective.

1 comment:

big C said...

I am at work and I just laughed out loud. I am so like you it's scary :)