Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Read It and Weep

I would venture to say that most people love reading for pleasure, but have a hard time fitting it in. Finding the time and the place to read a book with our hectic schedules can be difficult. It’s not like everyone has Kat’s schedule…where you can put your feet up….eat bonbons and donuts…and stick your nose in a book during the day.

Last week I was at a red light and glanced over to see a man with a book open on his steering wheel. I guess he found the perfect place…his Saab900s. Hopefully he’s only reading at lights and in traffic jams…and not while he’s whizzing down the road at 65 mph. Speaking of whizzing………..

There are those who do their reading in the bathroom. Hopefully it’s just light reading with the Reader’s Digest (Is it still in print?) and not heavy reading with War and Peace. Enough said about whizzing.

The other day I saw a guy with his nose in a book as he was walking down the sidewalk. Now that takes concentration and coordination. I wondered if he was really reading or trying to look book smart? I don’t get it. For me, just walking on the treadmill while watching TV and eating bonbons and donuts is hard…Let alone add reading a book.

Most people find time to read in bed before they go to sleep. I’ve tried plenty of times to do that, but haven’t mastered it. If I read more than two pages, my eyelids begin to feel like book bags. And then I haven’t a clue what I’ve read the next time I pick up the book. I always have to reread pages. I haven’t a clue what I read the next time I pick up the book. I always have to reread pages. I haven’t a clue what I read the next time I pick up the book.

My natural talent is reading when the TV is on. Especially sports. So when PaulA is watching a football game or golf (the golf whisper is the best)…I book-it. I am able to tune out the TV and everything around me and envision myself alone with my book, eating bonbons and donuts. I actually inherited this talent from my mom. Growing up, we all knew we were doomed when we saw mom with a book…dinner was only a four letter...I mean, six letter word.

I know a lot of people who like to read when they are traveling on a plane or in the airport to help pass the time. But I have to be careful about reading in public places…especially a ‘Read it and weep’ book. At the airport in St. Louis, I became an emotional wreck while reading the ending of “The Notebook.” I tried so hard to hold everything in...that my body shook.

I have a helpful suggestion for those who find it difficult to find the time or place to read a book…stick with some easy reading at your computer…and read Kat's blog. I’ll even supply the bonbons and donuts.

No comments: