Friday, June 5, 2009

Wishy is 18!

Remember the 80’s…who could forget the decade of material girl, big hair and bad clothing? During the mid-eighties, PaulA and I decided to ditch our yuppie life-style and begin our clan…or in scientific terms, develop single diploid zygotes. And in layman’s terms…we got busy.

First came Chelsea in ‘86…then Colin in ‘88…then Brianna ‘91. So that makes Brianna 18 years old today…June Fif…as Bri used to say before she figured out the “th” sound. (We certainly weren’t going to correct her when she sounded so cute.)

When I was pregnant with Bri, I remember people saying to me “You already have a boy and a girl…and you’re having a third?” I also remember responding, “Mind your own business.” No, actually I remember responding, “Our third will make our family complete.”

Being the youngest…sometimes Brianna's name is listed after the word “and.” She’s not a fan of Christmas cards signed…PaulA, Kat, Chelsea, Colin and Brianna. It makes her feel like an afterthought…like we suddenly remembered we had her… “Oh, and Brianna.” I see what she means...that’s where the dog belongs…not my sweet wish….

I also try not to call her Wishy in front of her friends. I don’t want to embarrass her…but family nicknames are hard to retire. Her nickname comes from the Cinderella song, “A dream is a wish your heart makes”…a song I would sing to her at bedtime…and then whisper, “good night sweet wish.” She actually preferred the songs "How much is that doggie in the window?" and “Take me out to the ballgame.” I thought about giving her the nicknames "doggie for sale" or “three strikes you’re out” …but they were a little too long.

Eighteen years ago…Brianna was the sweet wish that completed our family…….

PaulA, Kat, Chelsea, Colin, Brianna…and Duncandog.

Happy 18th Birthday Brianna!

1 comment:

big C said...

Love you sweet wish!