Thursday, June 18, 2009

Sign My Yearbook

Remember your high school yearbook? Before school let out for the summer we’d pass it around so our friends could sign it. “Stay Sweet.” “I’m going to miss you.” “Never change.” I dug out my senior high school yearbook and took a good look at myself. OMG…who is that person with the dark eyes staring back at me? I think I’ve changed, but I hope I stayed sweet.

And remember the infamous senior quotes underneath your picture? I hope you chose a good one…because it’s the type of thing that comes back to haunt you. Quote: “Life’s a blast.” The Unabomber.

Colinboy had a friend who actually quoted him in his senior yearbook. No kidding. A Colinboy quote smack dab under Alex K.’s senior photo: “Keep it Fresh.” I wonder what Alex’s parents thought when they saw some random quote from some random kid under their son’s picture. Granted, over the years we’ve heard many lines from Colinboy, but I’ve never considered any one of them to live in infamy. But then again, if you check The Book of Famous and Profound Quotes…you will find "Colinboy says", right before “Confucius says.”

Remember Superlatives? Superlatives in a yearbook are always fun. “Most likely to become President: Barack Obama.” “Most likely to be a tramp: Lindsay Lohan.” “Most likely to have a following: Jesus.”

I never received a superlative. “Most likely to not receive a Superlative: Kat.” I was a newbie at my high school. My father was in the Air Force and retired in a small town in Vermont when I was a sophomore. Every kid in the school had known each other since they were toads in kindergarten. But if I were to receive a superlative today, it would probably read: Most likely to write a dull blog: Kat.

Are you familiar with the line from John Mayer’s song “No Such Thing” about high school: I’d like to think the best of me is still hiding up my sleeve? That is such a superlative line because it rings so true. There are definitely those people who peak in high school…and then it’s all downhill from there.

Take one of my high school classmates, Jack. Voted…most successful...most popular…most good-looking. Regular triple threat. Jack got married after college to his high school sweetheart. A few years later…King Jack was a pauper…because he couldn’t hold a job due to his drug addiction. He was 175 pounds overweight…due to his food addiction. He and his wife divorced…due to his sex addiction. Yep…Jack peaked early.

Jack may have peaked too early, but at least he peaked. I’m still hoping to peak...or plateau...and not plummet.

To my blog readers….all 3 of you: “Have a good summer.” “Friends 4-ever.”

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2 good
2 be
----
4 gotten

I was always good at math!
pattyo