Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Graduate

Brianna graduates later today. I can’t believe it. I really can’t believe it. When Brianna was a baby…I remember thinking ahead…into the future...that Brianna would graduate from high school in TWO THOUSAND AND NINE. The year sounded so strange to me. I remember laughing to myself, thinking 2009 was light years away….a darn eternity. That her graduation day wouldn’t get here anytime soon.

And now it is here. The day our youngest child walks across the stage and receives her diploma. Brianna, The Graduate. My kids will tell you, “Mom always cries.” And they will be right.

I’ll try not to be a big baby. I promise that I’ll be good and not embarrass anyone….but I will cry…happy and sad tears. Happy tears that we have many beautiful memories of Brianna during her school years …and sad tears that those school years are over …and all we have left are the memories.

It’s easy being Brianna, The Graduate’s mother. She makes me look like I know what I’m doing…like I’m Mom of the Year. (Give that mom a raise.) Through Brianna’s school years, I’d go to teacher conferences and the teachers would spend our limited conference time telling me about her wonderful intrinsic qualities. And I would say, “Thank you. That’s nice to hear, but how’s she doing academically?”

When Brianna walks across the stage tonight…I’ll be seeing her move in slow motion. It will be like I’m watching a sequence in a movie…where you see flashbacks from days gone by. And I’ll be happy…I promise. Happy for Brianna as she says goodbye to one chapter…and hello to a new chapter in her life.

I love you Brianna. I am so very proud of you. Congratulations on your graduation.

2 comments:

big C said...

CONGRATS TO THE BABY!!!! We are getting so old!!

big C said...

PS. I bet you cried when you wrote this blog.... I know this because I almost did too :)