Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Read Between The Lines

Does your book club finish reading the book and have a lengthy book discussion? Not mine. We are a special book club that doesn’t always finish the book, and forget a lengthy discussion…we talk about it in passing. But monthly, we tell our families: “I have book club tonight…gotta go. There is left-over meatloaf in the back of the frig for dinner. Love ya.”

We have 8 avid readers in our group. The Avid Readers is what we call ourselves…Ha. We sound so legit…but it is to disguise our real mission. That would be to meet, eat and have a few drinks. It is a fun group and the reading is a good excuse to get together. We have been doing this for many years and have read (or not read), discussed (or not discussed) about 50 books.

One time we decided we would make ourselves discuss the book for more than the usual minute and a half. So I volunteered to bring questions to stimulate some lively discussion. I actually wrote down ten questions. (Well hello, it is totally my personality to do that. I always did my homework and was prepared for class.) Before we began the discussion, we ordered a round of drinks. Believe me, that sounds easier than it is…you gotta know us. “Bartender, too much vodka…Bartender, not enough vodka.” Then we started chatting or is that the vodka chatting?

The book discussion began: I said to the group, “Let’s talk about the book now. Excuse me…excuse me…you want to talk about the book now?” Someone said, “Oh, Kat was bringing questions.” So I began, “Do you think the author was trying to...” Then the interruptions start: “Oh, I only read to page 86.” “I’m on page 23, but I like it so far.” “Did you hear they are making a movie out of the book?” “Oh, don’t tell the end, I am almost there.” “Did you see they’re building a new shoe store in town?” “No way…a new shoe store!” “I thought it was gonna be another bank.” Book discussion over.

If you read between the lines…you can figure out how much fun we are having. I'm off to book club…enjoy the meat-loaf, family. Love ya.

No comments: