Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Greener Side

It is May and everything is greening up. Living in a neighborhood you have to keep up your yard. You can’t be the Munster family house with dead mums in pots from last fall…otherwise neighbors might talk. Wait, that was us…until I replaced them with pansies.

I glance across the street and see that my neighbor’s lawn is a lot greener. Why is that? We use the same fertilizer people….are they giving Mr. Jack neighbor preferential treatment? Maybe he is slipping them a little tip that I don’t know about. His lawn is definately getting a head start.

Then I remember…Oh yea Kat…Jack’s front lawn gets more sun because his house faces south and our front lawn faces north…so think back to last July when you watched Jack dump more and more precious water on his brown lawn. So the saying rings true: The grass is always greener on the other side. Heck, now I envision my poor neighbor looking at our lawn in July from his dustbowl…Oh yea…

PaulA calls from a business trip south and he's on his way to a golf game. I answer my cell phone while dragging the trash cans and recycling bins to the street, thinking PaulA is on easy street.

Then I remember…Oh yea Kat…PaulA had to first fly to Detroit, lay-over for 3 hours, and attend meetings for 3 straight days in conference rooms without windows. The grass is always greener on the other side. Heck, now I envision a weary PaulA with red eyes after his late flight home. Oh yea…

So when my kids are complaining to me about some unfair injustice…blah, blah, blah…being the wise and mature adult that I claim to be, I tell them: Sometimes what appears to be greener grass on the other side…actually has many weeds…just take a closer look. They look at me ….wondering when I got to be such a lawn and weed expert.

I look forward to July and watching Jack water his dust bowl.

No comments: