Thursday, May 1, 2008

Happy Birthday Michele

My sister Michele has a birthday today…May Day. May 1st is especially fun when you live in Hawaii…which was where she was born. She’s the baby…youngest of 4. I’m 7 ½ years older so when she was a teenager in high school, I was already out of college. There was never sibling rivalry or quarrels. No… “I’m telling mom on you.” Michele was my adorable baby sister. After becoming adults, age differences disappear…although I would like to trade ages.

We have nicknames in our fam and Michele has had her share. There’s the obvious Beatles song… “Michele, My Belle”…but also the more clever...Tiger baby, Beamba, Mush, and Sistersleldge. Michele has earned these nicknames during different times of her life.

Family lore has it that she first got the nickname Tiger Baby because she could be difficult…had a little feisty side, but hey I’m Kat…I understand feisty sides.

Then she was Beamba…my nickname for her. When I was in high school Michele (and my brother) each had a bedroom in the basement and because I had a fear of fire, I always worried about her down there. (No worries Bro, you were older.) I would go downstairs to say good night to her. As I climbed the basement stairs back up…I would yell, “love you” on each step…..14 of them…and on the top stair I would yell down, “I love you Beamba.” I’m telling you, I thought she was the cat’s meow and not a Tiger baby at all.

Then Beamba became Mush. If you say Michele real fast…it sounds like Mushele…and then Mush for short. Mush can be a softie…very sentimental (like her older sisters)… a regular Mushball.

Mush grew into a beautiful person inside and out. She is a wonderful mother, wife, daughter, grand daughter, sister, aunt, friend …and has the cutest nose you could ask for. She has a wonderful and supportive husband who knows just how to handle a Mush and a Tiger baby, and a sweet adorable daughter...who has the same cutest nose you could ask for.

These days I call Michele by her email handle…Sistersledge. “We are family”…sing it Sista…and I will always feel protective of my baby sister…even when I am 100 and she is 93.

Happy Birthday Michele...I love you Beamba!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kat! I was surprised and excited to see my name at the top of your blog. I've made it to the big time now. You were a great older sister to me when I was growing up and you still are! Love ya!