Monday, May 12, 2008

The Perfect Mother's Day Gift

We are parents of a college graduate – Class of 2008. Chelsea is now an Alum. I wonder if she’ll ever go to any of her college reunions? PaulA and I have our 30th college reunion this month …please don’t do the math. We aren’t able to attend (too bad…lots of blog material just waiting.) Chelsea’s 30th Reunion will be in the year 2038...OMG, that sounds ridiculous!!! Maybe there will be virtual college reunions then…

Her graduation was held in the University's Basketball Coliseum…so seating and weather would not be a problem. We found seats in the nose-bleeds and looked down at the 1000 folding chairs on the center court. How would we ever find her? Not a problem…We just looked for the College of Communications and the National Monument aka – University basketball player - 6 feet 9 inches, 250 pounds…with the last name following hers. There she was…smiling away…under the shadow of the Monument.

I opened up the program and tears started to flow when I saw Chelsea’s name. I remember all her graduations…even nursery school (elbowing out other parents, trying to get pictures.) I came prepared with my camera to record this monumental event. The guy directly in front of us came prepared….with a book, 4 bags of snacks and bottled water…Woah…He must have done this before.

It was time for Chelsea to receive her degree…her college was asked to stand up and head toward the stage. My eyes followed Chelsea and the Monument as they inched closer and closer to the stage. She climbed the stairs (not sure how she maneuvers in those high heels) and they announced her name. Her family and friends yelled, cheered, and whistled!!! Other than Chelsea (and her adorable housemate, Angela), the next time I applauded was for M. Zinn :)

I will always remember this day. It was a beautiful day with her beautiful friends (What’s in the water down there?)….making a beautiful memory. Lucky me…Chelsea’s graduation was on Mother’s Day weekend. It was the perfect gift. The University could not have timed it better…4 years ago.

No comments: