Saturday, August 16, 2008

Par For The Course

On the weekend PaulA likes to play golf. His alarm clock goes off early …7 am…that’s early for a Saturday…especially when it’s his day off. A day when he could sleep in…and roll over and over. I wake up and see PaulA sitting at the edge of the bed, getting his wits about him before he stands up. So I just have to say it, I just can’t stop myself, “You going to your golf job?” You see, I think this is really funny. I say it every time and of course, he never responds. He must not like my sense of humor early in the morning….’cause I’m telling you, it is really funny.

So I started thinking…What is it about golf that will get a person out of bed so early on a Saturday after having worked 100 hours Monday thru Friday….flown across the country, driven through traffic in major cities, met clients for dinner at 6 pm when it is 11 pm his body time and more interested in catching zzzzz’s instead of the catch of the day?

I have played golf, so you see I’m trying to figure out the big attraction. Of course, there is the obvious attraction of hitting the little white ball until you knock it into the hole. Now that is the very definition of a good time!!! But maybe it’s also the: camaraderie of hanging with the fellas, the big bucks he's hoping to win off his buds, the round of Buds on the 19th hole, taking out frustrations on a little ball, and getting out of a honey-do list.

Because it certainly couldn’t be: shanking the ball into the woods, ricocheting the ball off of 3 trees, missing the putt with a lip-out, scuffing the chip, doffing the ground, losing your shirt to your friends and buying the round of drinks, ‘cause you’re the loser of the day.

It’s 7am Saturday morning… “You going to your golf job, PaulA?”

No comments: