Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Crock Full

Here’s a crock full…
a true life story about a crock-pot.

Sounds riveting, right?

Question to self: 
How come you've never owned a crock-pot…until now?  

These days crock-pots are a popular bridal shower gift.
Back in my bridal shower daze, 
woks were the craze.
I’m pretty sure we were gifted 3 of them.  
Wok On

Last April, 
(which at this point in our social distancing lives
seems like another life time ago)
we visited good friends in Isle of Palms, South Carolina.

One night we were treated to a yummy pulled pork dinner
which was made in a crock-pot.
Right then and there I decided that
as soon as I got home 
I was
gettin' myself a crock-pot and
fixin' to make a heap of pulled pork. 
trying to sound southern. failed. horribly.

But this newbie crack pot
had many "how to" questions for Miss Debbie
and would need a lot of coaching.

First directive:  "Get yourself a pork butt."
Whaaat?  I wasn’t sure I heard Miss Debbie correctly.
I was hoping it was her southern accent talking…
butt apparently 
I heard her correctly.  
One pork butt. 
Surprisingly the local grocery store carries them.
who knew?

Then came her recipe for a dry rub…
which kinda rubbed me the wrong way…
especially when she told me to rub the pork butt.  
generously.
I draw the line at massage.


Then her secret ingredient...
a can of coke.
(Apparently every good cook has secrets.)
I stopped short of asking Miss Debbie any more rookie questions like 
"what kind of coke?"
so I went out on a limb with regular Coke. 
Diet Coke probably doesn’t help cut calories 
when you're talking pork butt.


Anywhoooo……..


Let’s just say I am not a fan of looking at large amounts 
of raw meat.

And less of a fan of rubbing on raw meat…
butt 
the pulled pork turned out great.

I suppose 9 hours in a crock-pot could even turn 
Colin's crocodile cowboy boots 
into a good meal.


I am now an 
official fan of the pork butt.


Especially sitting down to a ready set meal 
after 
hauling butt around 18 holes of golf
while the other butt simmered.
Wait, which butt simmered?


The pulled pork lasted for days
but on the third day I called 
"stick-an-apple-in-my-mouth"...this porker is DONE.
There’s only so much pork a girl can eat 
before she resembles her pork butt.


All butt jokes aside…
did someone say a side?

Next up…
cheesy grits.

I reckon by then...
 I’ll be a true southerner
Whistling Dixie. 

Anywhooo2....

Over the next 
30 days 
of 
staying at home...
I''m fixin' on pullin' out 
the ol' crock-pot
for a lil 
home cookin'.


But after 30 days...
this butt is 
outta here.
At least I hope.

stay safe y'all

No comments: