Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Multiply Your Luck


Can you believe it’s September 1st?? I remember when the summer season was first getting started and now it’s on its way out. Hare today...gone tomorrow.

Speaking of rabbits, I hope you said "rabbit, rabbit, rabbit" this morning. If you didn't...I feel very sorry for you. You’re doomed for the rest of September...or you’re S.O.L.

“Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit” is said on the first day of the month for good luck the rest of the month. And our fam never forgets. We know better than to test the rabbit. Never DARE a HARE.

To be the recipient of the kind of luck where you say, “life is so easy, it's like shooting rabbits in a barrel”...you must say “rabbit, rabbit, rabbit” when you FIRST wake up...and BEFORE you say anything else. You can’t even yell, “Sorry Duncandog, for stepping on your head...because you are always underfoot...and I didn’t see you...because I didn’t have my contacts in yet.”

This morning, my eyes popped open at 3:11 a.m. and I said, “rabbit, rabbit, rabbit”...OUTLOUD. Does that make me a weirdo, or the next LOTTO winner?

I’ve googled “rabbit, rabbit, rabbit” to find out where this superstition might have come from. And “Presto” – a winner. I pulled a rabbit out of my hat when a whole Google page appeared regarding the superstition. Apparently I am quasimoto-normal.

Google says the saying has been around since 1800 and is a common British superstition. There is something about the rabbit being lucky and having lucky feet. (I wonder which foot is considered the luckiest.)
On a lop-eared note: I find it very interesting SLASH ironic that rabbits are commonly eaten in England. I guess the Brits like to multiply their chances and eat their luck...for good measure.

So to make sure the five of us are covered in the luck department, we send out “rabbit, rabbit, rabbit” text messages..as a little hare reminder...because we care.

If you didn’t get the “rabbit, rabbit, rabbit” memo for good luck...I would suggest eating a rabbit tonight for dinner....hare and all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Those rabbit feet are lucky for everyone and everything except the poor rabbit that it came from.. rabbit, rabbit... we only say it twice... is that wrong?
pattyo