Monday, September 13, 2010

Happy Blog Anniversary To Me





Today marks the THIRD anniversary of when I first started writing this blog. 3 Years, folks! That’s a long time in dog years...let alone Kat years. So today I am reprinting the VERY FIRST blog that I wrote on September 13, 2007.


Anywhoooooooooo..........it went like this:


What to do…….Well, let’s see….My “To-Do” list has lots on it...Stop and Shop, clean bathrooms, (why did I want more than one?), laundry...but I don’t want to tackle my list. I find all those chores irritating, I guess that’s why they call them chores, eh? So here I sit thinking, “Hmmm, maybe I’ll start a blog and avoid doing chores for a little while. Then maybe later I’ll feel inspired and get busy. There’s always hope!”


For some reason, I like writing online. I have three children...and the two that are away at college have said that I am much more fun to talk to when I’m online. We’ll see if anyone out there agrees…..............


One thing I do when I write online is use dot, dot, dot, like this………… It’s a good segway …..so that I can change subjects…..and think while I write. It’s almost like a written “ummmmm”….. and it gives people a chance to take a breath when they are reading. (You breathe when you read, don’t you?)

To introduce myself....My name is Kathy-Anne or like my husband and friends call me, Kat. Before I was married my initials were K.A.T.…so Kat makes a fitting nickname. I am still not sure why my parents gave me a double first name. We were not from the south, unless you consider that the state of Vermont is south of Canada. Then there is the enigma of a missing middle name...which gets confusing on applications and registrations. Sometimes I throw them a bone and give them “Anne” if they must insist.


I like the name, Kat although I do not have a cat. I don’t dislike cats, but I just don’t have one….I own a dog. Oh, and his name is Duncan. He’s a Portuguese Water Dog. I don’t know how fitting the name Duncan is for a Portuguese Water Dog, but he’s stuck with it. My sister-in-law's family got a dog like ours and named him Magellan. A Portuguese explorer is a very fitting name for a Portuguese Water Dog. Why weren’t we that clever?

So it’s September and the kids are back at school. And I’m at home...on the brink of an empty nest. I‘m so thankful that I have 3 kids that are spaced out over 5 and a half years... (Wait, they are not spaced out kids)...this way my nest doesn’t get dumped all at once. I honestly do not know how moms of twins or triplets do it.


My oldest child, Chelsea, is a senior in college and not excited about graduating in May and joining the Real World….unless it’s the reality TV show. She likes to think of herself as the boss of the kids…and the other two let her think she is. She has earned the name “Big C” given to her by her brother and his friends. She has also commented on how she’s been the guinea pig kid child. She may have a point. We are hoping to have it right the third time around.

Colin is a sophomore in college. I call him Colinboy and not really sure why, but it’s just one of those family things that happens and you forget why. He’s been referred to as “Six Degrees of Colin"...like Kevin Bacon. He just seems to know many different people from many different circles, and if you don’t know him, he knows you….does that make any sense???


Okay, quickie Colinboy story to give you an example. We were at a Red Sox game and I saw a man eating an enormous piece of meat, that looked like turkey or chicken. I’m talking the whole animal and it was very gross. There was food falling from his mouth and grease dripping from his face, that he didn’t even bother to wipe off. So being the immature mom that I can be…I said to Colin, “Hey, check out that man eating animal to your left!” He looks over and says, “Oh, I know that man!” I said, “Come on Colin, how is that possible?” Colinboy watched the game for a few minutes and then said to me, “I remember now, I’ve seen him at the Y….he goes to the same YMCA I do.” There you have it, enough said about Colinboy.

Then last, but not least is Brianna. First of all, she does not like it when I either say or write “Chelsea, Colin and Brianna”…she insists I take the “and” out. I guess it makes her feel like an afterthought, but I explain to her that it really distinguishes her and gives her the spotlight that she so deserves! Our nickname for Brianna, other than Bri…..is Wish, Wishy, Sweet Wish, Wish Queen, or Wish Queen of America! Okay, it’s a little corny, but when she was really little, I would sing the Disney song “A dream is a wish your heart makes,” along with the musical score from Les Miserables (jk)…and then whisper good night “Sweet Wish”. Awwwww. Anyway, Wishy is a junior in High School and I am desperately holding onto her before she also leaves for college...and leaves me to me!!

So that’s the rundown on my 3 kids and 1 dog...nicknames and all. I do have 1 hunky husband named Paul. I don’t have any cutesy nicknames for him like love bug, babe, or honeybunch. I call him Pauly or PaulA. It totally cracks me up that his credit card and airline tickets print his middle initial “A” right next to Paul so it looks like PaulA. Even flight attendants like to tease him that he doesn’t look like a Paula. There are other times when he’s traveling for business, I like to call him “Willy”……you know, Willy Loman from Death of a Salesman. PaulA’s a great guy who works hard for the family. After all, he’s got 3 kids and a wife who hates to do chores, to feed!

I should end now. I plan on sharing stories...some personal...some public, but all with a Kat’s brown eye view of life. No major life issues will be solved here.


So I’m warning you...I’ll be back………katOUT

3 comments:

Bri @ Sea said...

So crazy how so much has changed in 3 years! Now its not two in college and one in high school but 2 graduated and one in college! Can't believe it! Although that has all changed we still love you the same and you're still wildly creative to still have something funny and clever to say 3 years later. Love you KATwoman!

big C said...

WOW, amazing how fast time has gone by! I can't believe it has been 3 years....so much has changed! Sort of bittersweet

CONGRATS KAT!!!!! love you

Anonymous said...

Guess I never read your first blog. Segue...not segway, you silly...