Thursday, September 9, 2010

Dog-gone Distractions


Go ahead and add Fido, Spot, and Rover to the list of distractions while driving.

A recent survey from AAA determined that 80% of dog owners bring their dogs with them on a variety of trips. 31% of them admitted being distracted by their dog while they are driving…which isn’t a surprise. Dogs move around the car, add to your blind spots, bark in your ear, and lay in your lap.

I hear there are even some dogs who have tried to commandeer the steering wheel. After driving behind some folks, I would say there a few dogs that would be an improvement behind the wheel. Take the Border Collie, for example…that dog has amazing dexterity. It’s not easy to catch a Frisbee in your mouth…it requires true skill. The steering wheel is just a bigger disc.

There are many dog owners who love their dogs more than their relatives. I can’t see them leaving their pooches behind or jailing them in the back seat. Take Oprah Dog Lover Winfrey, for example.

Oprah began a campaign against distractions while driving and asks her guests to join her cause by signing her petition. But the question is: Would Oprah add her doggie to her list of distractions…even when dogs are said to be as distracting as cell phones and texting? I think Oprah would prefer to let sleeping dogs lie, when it came to bringing up the issue.

Anywhooooooooo………..

I don’t bring Duncandog with me in the car…unless I absolutely have to. (I hear you can’t leave a dog in the house with food and water for extended perioods of time.)

And I never bring Duncandog in the car while I’m doing errands around town. It’s not because he’s a distraction while I’m driving…it’s because he’s a distraction while I’m trying to exit. When the car comes to a stop…he positions himself to bolt for the door because he doesn’t want to be left behind. He will break his limbs and mine to get out the door first. The Kat usually beats the dog to the punch. (Wait, you know what I mean. I would never Michael Vick my dog.)

I do make one exception when I’m willing to risk Duncandog’s antics. I bring DD with me when it gets bitter cold. He keeps my seat warm in the winter when I’m running in and out of different stores doing errands. Thanks DD.

But neither Rover nor Duncandog is more of a distraction than a woman shaving her legs while driving on her way to work. Or the kid in the backseat, kicking the driver’s seat and throwing his toys and bottle at the back of your head.

I think a new distraction survey needs to be done to include kids and ladies with hairy legs. I’m giving AAA a call in the morning.

2 comments:

Bri @ Sea said...

he also made a good companion as i made the drive back up to the beach after class! keeps me company and can sing and howl along to songs on my ipod!

big C said...

hahaha this makes me laugh! "I don’t bring Duncandog with me in the car…unless I absolutely have to."

haha he makes it impossible to get out!!!