Thursday, April 23, 2009

Feathered Friends

Most people think the world is divided in half...between dog people and cat people. But there is another population to consider…that is the bird people population. The bird people population consists of those who are fanatical about birds…they watch birds, study them, follow them, feed them, and wash them. And then there are the Ornithologists, the bird experts.

Once my bro-in-law pretended to be a Bird Expert. We (PaulA, bro-in-law and his wife, and I) were trespassing in a bird sanctuary (having a picnic)…and a distraught woman brought a wounded bird to the sanctuary for help. To cover our trespassing butts, Bro led her to believe he was the resident Bird Expert there. It didn’t take her long to figure out he was no Dr. Beak. She looked at him in bird fraud horror.

Some people are freakish about birds. They are so afraid of birds that they duck and run for cover…especially if there is more than one flying overhead. They probably saw Alfred Hitchcock’s movie “The Birds” and ruined themselves for life. I still remember the telephone lines covered with hundreds of birds in that movie. Sometimes it only takes one Hitchcock movie…to do permanent damage. That ‘s why to this day, I am so terrified of men who wear grey haired women’s wigs.

Normally I could give a flying sparrow about birds…until now. Interesting enough…right outside my blogging window I have been watching a cardinal. I don’t usually know the names of birds, but we lived in St. Louis for 2 years. I do know the difference between a bald eagle and the Froot Loops Toucan Sam. That Sam is one impressive bird.

I have become quite fond of the cardinal and look for it every morning when I sit at my ole blogging chair. I watch the little bird brain as he builds a nest in our bushes with little twigs and leaves that he carries in his beak. Suddenly, I find that I have developed a real interest in birds.

Each morning, I sit with my nose pressed against the window as my eyes shift back and forth…. following the little red bird from branch to branch…carrying each leaf and twig. I’m finding that I have more than a passing interest in my feathered friend…as my hungry stomach rumbles.

Then I wonder if being a Kat has anything to do with it.

PostScript: Sorry for being such a rare, odd and old bird. I realize this blog is for the birds, but a little birdie told me to do it. Please don’t blame me…and flip me the bird.

No comments: