Monday, January 7, 2008

My Bodyguard

I’ve decided to write some old stories in my blog every now and then…that way I can look back when I’m an old lady…and remember.

I remember when Colinboy was always right by my side…my little shadow. Not that I was major fun all the time…but he seemed to think that he needed to protect me. If I was going to the grocery store or wherever I was going, he would run out of the house and jump in the car. I tried to assure him that I would be okay, but I knew this was only a “phase” and it wouldn’t be long before he would be in college and forget to call. I knew that one day I would be missing my 9-year old bodyguard.

One evening we were going to dinner with some college/life long friends who were visiting from NY. We got a babysitter for our 3 and their 3, a combination six pack. When it was time for us to say goodbye to the kids, Colinboy was nowhere to be found. We yelled, “Bye Colin…Be a good boy for the Camp Dancer (our name for the sitter).” No answer. Honestly, we tried to find him. No Colinboy. We figured he was pouting somewhere and playing hard to get. The Camp Dancer assured us she would find him. So we got in our car and took off for a kid-free evening.

We headed down the road, PaulA and I up front, and Bill and Di in back…talking about the little munchkins we left behind…how happy we were to leave them behind…in a loving sort of way. We were almost at the restaurant, when I looked back at Bill and Diane and saw this little blonde bowl head peering over the backseat behind them. I screamed… “Colin!” We cracked up…Colinboy was no longer MIA. “Back home you go, little man.”

Big C and and Wishy like to tease Colin, “Remember how you were such a baby, Col and you had to go with mom all the time?” That “phase” is over. Just like I predicted… I miss my 9-year old bodyguard.

No comments: