Thursday, January 3, 2008

Happy Anniversary

Today is the wedding anniversary of my in-laws….Nana and Papa would have been married 57 years, but sadly Papa passed away back in March of 2001. I am very lucky to have had the in-laws that I do. And the luck of the draw is really what it’s all about…isn’t it? Comedians like to joke about in-laws and then there's "Meet the Parents." PaulA likes to call in-laws...out-laws (funny PaulA). And I’m sure there are some hostile out-laws out there…but not here. Ours have always been very supportive and encouraging.

When I first met them I was 19. I took Amtrack down from Vermont to New Haven and PaulA and Papa picked me up at the train station. I wore a red coat and carried a blue suitcase. My coat and suitcase are a part of family lore…you know, the ole family stories. When I met the entire family…9 people (7 kids)…I was very overwhelmed. That is a big group at the dinner table and that is a lot of talking. I’m sure they thought I was the quiet, shy girl from Vermont with the red coat and blue suitcase, but they all tried to make me feel comfortable. That first night at the table…I could see they were both a devoted couple to each other and to their family.

It might look like I am trying to suck up…to gain points with Nana, but you see…Nana isn’t surfing the net, reading blogs, or logging onto to Facebook. But in case a little birdy tells her…I hope she hears how happy “the girl in the red coat with the little blue suitcase” has been being her daughter-in-law. Happy Anniversary!!! We love you.

No comments: