Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Very Superstitious

Would you consider yourself superstitious? I am about some things, but not others… Like the number 13. Unlike some people, I happen to love the number 13…it is odd, but it is friendly. I happen to have been born on the 13th …I would consider myself both odd and friendly.

I do admit to one superstition. Every time I drive by a graveyard, I must hold my breath until I completely pass it. I know, it might seem quite juvenile…but so is your number 13 superstition!! Whenever I know a graveyard is approaching…I take the largest breath that I can muster (when other people are in the car, I do it quietly…so not to be found crazy.)

To get to our airport, I have to pass 2 graveyards. I have driven by them many times, so I know exactly when to take in air. My problem the other day: Right after breathing in, I went around the corner and ended up behind a farmer…who was happily bouncing down the road on one of those tractors with the BIG wheels. The double yellow lines on the blind, windy road meant...Do Not Pass…so I was stuck holding my breath. (Michael Phelps I am not.) Finally, I got by Farmer-Got-All-Day.…after turning a pale blue.

Then I drew a second breath for the second graveyard I had to pass…Luckily no farm tractor. This time I came up behind a car…that was at a full stop. “Driver…What are you doing!? Can’t you see that I am holding my breath over here!”

I saw why the car had stopped…a little dog was in the road. The Katangel on my right shoulder thought, “Oh, poor little doggie is lost”. The Katdevil on my left shoulder said, “Let’s get going ...run that damn dog over…I can’t hold my breath much longer.”

I guess if I’m going to continue with this superstition…I need to find a new way to the airport.

No comments: