Friday, August 21, 2009

A Laughing Matter

I love to laugh. Remember the scene and song from "Mary Poppins" when Mary and Bert were floating in air. “The more you laugh. The more you will fill with glee.” What a beautiful metaphor showing how laughter lifts our moods.

Some people have the best laughs. Take my friend Elaine who has the best laugh ever. Elaine’s is a happy laugh…which is key. Not all laughs are happy…some are downright sinister. And some are uptight spinster.

They say laughter is contagious. I know for a fact that’s true. Whenever I hear Elaine laugh…I can’t help but laugh…the whole world laughs. And we usually aren’t laughing at the broccoli florets stuck in her front teeth. That’s not funny. We are all laughing because you just can’t help yourself…her laugh is contagious …so much better than the H1V1 contagion.

Elaine’s laugh comes from down deep…in her belly. When you hear it, you know everything is right with the world. People just want to be around laughers like Elaine…great laughers make even the lamest joke sound like a knee slapper.

If I was a stand-up comedienne (I hear you thanking the lord I’m not)…I would find myself 5 Elaines and plant them around the club. (Could be hard to find…she’s the original…the others are posers.) People would come in off the street in droves…just to see who was having all the fun.

Life is a lot more fun if you can laugh. Go ahead and give it a try…just try to make it a great laugh…an Elaine belly laugh. Anything but one of those hissing, squeaky, fizzing, or nasally laughs.

I just had a thought…Elaine might want to think about recording a laugh track for a sit-com. I wonder if she’s ever considered laughing for a living.

No comments: