Monday, March 3, 2008

I Got Soul

I had my first ever pedicure…a very sole-full experience. I guess it was about time…a lot of the female teenager population has already had several. I am not a fan of strangers touching my body parts so massages have always been out of the question. But I thought I could start with my feet and maybe later graduate to other extremities. Plus I was with some friends at a spa celebrating a friend’s big birthday. We were there after hours so we had the place to ourselves…cosmos, appetizers and pedicures…soul food for the sole.

I jumped on the sole train, picked out a toe nail color (think pink) and got in the chair. Very nice…big leather lounger with a control. I flipped on the back massage, stuck my feet in the whirlpool and turned 3 shades of scarlet. I have to say, it is a little embarrassing to have a total stranger examine your feet. You wonder what pedicurists are thinking when they take their first look. I know they have seen all kinds of souls with all kinds of soles walk in there. But it still is a little awkward. Maybe they can actually see your soul through your soles. I was just hoping she was thinking… “This woman has a lot of soul.” And not thinking… “her feet smell like a 3-day-old piece of sole.” I wanted to prove how soulful I was by playing “Heart and Soul” on the piano. (By the way, all stupid puns are intended…can’t stop myself.)

The woman took my foot and got right to work. Every time she touched my toes, I would jump…and then she would look up at me. I would say, “I’m so sorry.” And she would give me a little smile. And then it would happen again. One time she looked up at me and caught me biting my hand. I figured if I inflicted a little pain on myself I would not be jumpy and move my feet every time she touched my toes. She did not speak English very well, so it was hard to explain to her that I was fighting the urge to kick her in the face.

After much soul-searching about pedicures, I realized that: Pedicures + Kat = Soul Mates…I would definitely do it again. This soul sister got a great pedicure…smooth, soft feet with pink toes. And the woman didn’t get kicked in the face…which luckily for her…was not her sole tip.

No comments: