Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Novel Idea

Can you imagine cranking out book after book, year after year? It’s one thing to crank out mindless katOUTblogs but to write prolifically and have your books climb the Best Seller List.

That’s the case with 2 authors…John Grisham and Danielle Steel. While logging some serious pool time in Las Vegas, I took a look around at what people were reading. To the right of me… “The Client” by J. Grisham and to the left… “Sisters” by Danielle Steel. What was I reading? Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, written in the early 1800s…get with the program Kat.

Grisham has a formula for his writing machine…and he’s sticking to it. There is always a lawyer in trouble, conflict ensues and BANG…another Grisham novel. I’m not sure how readers are supposed to keep track of what books they’ve read...they all start with “The.” Have you seen a list of his books? The Broker, The Last Juror, The Partner, The Street Lawyer, The Chamber, The Client, The Rainmaker, The Firm…and on and on. I am expecting his follow-ups to be: The Same, The Clone, The Carbon Copy, The Double, The Identical, The Unchanged….

As for Danielle Steele, I can’t say I’ve read her books but obviously a lot of people do. Actually if you knew anything about her life…you could figure out where she gets her material. Check it out: Steel married her second husband in a jailhouse ceremony who was later convicted of a series of rapes. Steel married her third, heroin-addicted, husband the day after her divorce from her second husband was final, while she was 8 ½ months pregnant. This marriage ended within two years and Steel married for the fourth time. They each previously had a child and had 5 children together. Then Steel married for a fifth time, lasting less than 2 years…(kudos googleGUY) The heroines in Steel’s stories are always confronted with an emotionally crippling tragedy and later find love.

Maybe the two authors could get together and write the ultimate mysterious romance novel. Here’s an idea: a young woman lawyer, pursued by a G-man who was her ex-lover, mysteriously disappears... she later reunites with her first true love. Together Grisham and Steel could rule the book world.

I’m not saying, they don’t know what they are doing…’cause obviously they do… And I’m not saying, I could do what they are doing….’cause obviously I can’t. I guess I’m saying …I’m obviously jealous. So until I get a formula on how to write a book…….I’ll just pester people with my blog.

No comments: