Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring Rules

Last week was the first day of spring, Hurrah…birds are chirping, sun is shining, flowers are blooming, grass is greening…Wait, that’s in my dreams…that’s not where I live.

When you live in the Northeast, spring does not come on March 20th…that date is very optimistic. Hello, it could be almost June. We used to live in Syracuse, NY…where March is the dead of winter. I remember one year it snowed on Mother’s Day…we’re talking inches. (And this is no fish tale.) We were sitting in church when it began snowing. I started wondering if God was messing with our heads…thou shalt endure more days of white stuff...you've only had 100 inches...get shoveling.

Supposedly there are rules about when to wear white again…maybe after Easter…or is it Memorial Day…or could it be the third Tuesday after a full moon? Whatever. Who decides this? The fashion people…the ones that have unrealistic looking people wearing unrealistic clothing?

There is one rule around the official date of spring that I insist on: Put your damn holiday decorations away. I saw a huge infraction the other day. (For those of you who don’t know…I am the self-appointed decorations police.) I noticed a log cabin house with 3 wreaths with red bows. Come on people… The holidays were 3 months ago. Just because their home is rustic and in the woods, doesn’t let them break the rule. Kat’s rule: No holiday decorations after March 20th. (And I’m giving lots of wiggle room here ‘cause I’m so darn accommodating.)

If I spy holiday decorations on your house and it is March 20th, I am free to think… that you are either terribly lazy, or you are unconscious. I am also free to give you a ticket….

Finally, the calendar says it is spring! As I glance out my window, I see the snow is melting. Good. Wait, what is that in our front yard? Are those the 3 spot lights we used to shine on our house during Christmas? Umm…

Okay Kat’s new rule: Get your decorations down…whenever you darn well please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Vermont. It's snowing like crazy here today so the old decorations fit right in!

SisterSledge