Friday, May 15, 2009

Caught Again

It happened…caught by the house alarm…again. The alarm gets us every time. It went off the other morning when Bri was headed out the armed door for school. “Brianna has left the building.”

So far the only people our alarm has nabbed are the ones who live here. I guess that’s a good thing and I shouldn’t complain…better us, than a real-live scary criminal with a dark hood, gloves, flashlight, and axe (my last nightmare.) PaulA and Wishy don’t scare me as much.

I suppose our alarm is like the alarms in most other homes…one where the culprit caught is the same person who pays the bill. Our alarm has saved us from each other…for years.

I can’t tip-toe downstairs for a mid-night snack with the thing on level 3. That’s when the slightest movement sends the motion detector into full attack. I might have a sudden urge to cozy up to a tub of ice cream…but the alarm curbs those urges. Then there are times I might have slipped out the back door…or climbed out the window. I’m always trying to break out of this house in the middle of the night…Krispy Kreme here comes Kat.

Back in the day…we lived in a new house that had an alarm installed. Being the scaredy-Kat that I am, I was very happy to have our house secure from bad guys with dark hoods brandishing axes.

The first night we used it…I set the darn thing off…as I was tip-toeing downstairs for cough medicine (sure Kat.) The alarm was wild. In addition to the regular alarm sound…it also had a booming and commanding voice that kept repeating: “You have entered a protected area. Please leave the premises.” It sounded like there was a big-mouth cop standing outside with a bullhorn. How do I shut him up???

Thank goodness we don’t have the voice alarm anymore. I especially don’t need to be caught in the act of Chunky Monkey…no that’s not a new dance craze…it’s the pint of Ben and Jerry’s I’ve got stashed in my freezer…behind the bag of frozen green beans.

It’s much better to be caught by a regular alarm than a voice alarm hollering: “You have entered a protected area. Put down the Chunky Monkey and go back to bed, Kat.”

No comments: