Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Bring on Da Noise

Some people are just inherently loud. They wake up, put two feet on the ground, and immediately start banging around. They couldn’t be quiet if they tried…and interestingly, they ALWAYS swear they are trying. When they walk…they sound like Irish cloggers with a wee bit o’ Guinness.

Back in the day when PaulA and I were first married, we lived on the second floor of a 3 family house…and wondered if the people living above us would have the heavy left foot. Luckily no cloggers there. Ironically they complained more about us…than we complained about them.

You would have thought they could have chilled, especially because we were the same age…and both newly married couples. But then again it might have had something to do with school rivalry. The fact that we would bang on our ceiling with a broom handle when Villanova (Go Nova) scored over Georgetown in Big East basketball…didn’t help. What the hell’s a Hoya, anyway?

I’m already thinking ahead to how quiet our house is gonna be next fall when Sweet Wishy goes off to college. I am gonna miss the noisy days of the kids living in our house. Noise = Fun. Case in point: Library = not fun.

I’m going to miss the days when Colinboy played his bass through his amp that he set up in our living room…Big C with her big voice singing random songs at random times…and some random door slams when she was fed up with her random parents….Sweet Wishy BLASTING her stereo so she can hear it over her morning shower. TV blaring from different rooms.

I remember growing up when my mom complained about noise…she would say: “I can’t even hear myself think.” I always wondered how that was possible? As I matured I understood what she meant. (It’s funny how things your parents said finally end up making sense.)

This fall….our house will be so quiet that I’ll be able to hear myself think. (I hope I like the sound of my thinking voice.) My thoughts will be very loud and clear, “Where did the years go? I miss my Big C, Colinboy, and Sweet Wish.”

Bring on da noise…bring on da fun.

No comments: