Monday, July 14, 2008

Yo Bucket Head

“What does that person think of me? Do I have the right outfit on? Am I having a bad hair day?” When you are young, these things do not matter to you...you could careless. That’s the beauty of youth.

But then we go through a period of time when appearances matter. It probably starts when we start learning about the birds and the bees…and continues for a period of time. But certainly as we get old….we begin to not care …who gives a shitz?

Back in the day when the kids were small and the McDonald’s Happy Meal was served in a plastic bucket…Colinboy would wear the bucket on his head. He would wear it so often you couldn’t help but call him Bucket Head. We would be ready to head out the door and he would say, “Wait”…and run back for his bucket…place it on his head, slip the handle under his chin...and he was ready to go. He never called the bucket his hat. He liked wearing a bucket. Oh, to wear a plastic bucket on your head…

Bri took a page from her big brother, Colinboy and would wear her rain boots around the neighborhood…for quickness and ease. Colin would wear his snow boots. So Buckethead and Lil Sis would roam the hood...ready for the next monsoon and July snowstorm.

My grandmother is 93 and you can be sure she doesn’t worry about what people are thinking of her...or whether she is making a fashion statement. She doesn’t wear a bucket on her head, but she wouldn’t care if you did... some things just don’t matter and everything gets put into perspective.

During my last trip to NYC I wore fashionable sandals…when I should have worn comfortable shoes. After five hours of walking around NYC, I was begging for my sneakers...regardless of what they looked like.

I am a work in progress. Today it is raining Kats and Dogs and I will be in NYC. I vow to make sure that I am comfortable. You just might not recognize me….with my sneakers and rain bucket on my head. But then again, who would notice or even care… especially there.

No comments: