Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Let's Talk Turkey

Ahhhh…Thanksgiving….my favorite holiday of the year. No presents involved so I can’t get the look… “You totally bombed, Loser Mom.” “Gee… I thought you liked toe socks….everyone likes toe socks.”

The best part about Thanksgiving is getting together with family and, of course, the eating extravaganza. The meal really isn’t that difficult…you just need a lot of it. Basically meat, potatoes, and vegetables. There are no wild expectations of a gourmet plum-glazed Mongolian turkey with foie gras. Heck, if that was served, everyone would grumble….and it wouldn’t be their stomachs talking. Also people want to contribute with their signature dishes, like Uncle Alan’s Portuguese stuffing…as Rachael Ray says, “Yummo!”

I think the reason I love the Thanksgiving holiday so much is because of the great Thanksgivings I had as a kid. We had turkey day with my mom’s family at a school and used the kitchen and cafeteria. We ran through the halls and played in the classrooms. My uncle even brought us there in a school bus. Other years we got together at the Grange (town meeting place, for those flatlanders.) It was always such a fun time with my aunts, uncles and cousins. The wonderful memories of Thanksgivings are what I hope to pass on to my family.

It is the traditions that make the holiday so special. Aunt Mary/Uncle Al & Fam arriving the night before with Pepe’s pizza, all the cooks in the kitchen, the Thanksgiving morning walk in the woods... the Pre-dinner appetizer session, The BIG Turkey dinner with all the fixins…the couch…the desserts...the couch… family game time...the couch...football games on TV…the couch…walk-it-off time outside...the couch...Round TWO…the turkey sandwiches...the couch.

I wonder if anyone has ever kept track of the average number of calories eaten on Thanksgiving Day. If they did, I would bop them on the head. You see, this is the time to unbuckle the belt, pop those buttons, loosen that skirt…and make room for a second, third piece of pie. No fun trying to “be good” … that would be very, very bad.

So here we are, getting together with a bountiful feast like the Pilgrims and Indians did in Plymouth hundreds of years ago… minus the couch. Happy Thanksgiving to my family who couldn’t be with us at our table. I love you and miss you. Have a great day and I’ll be thinking of you….while on the couch.

P.S. Should you not hear from me for a couple of days…I am in a self-induced turkey coma. Tryptophan is pretty powerful stuff and I am probably still on the ……Okay, you guessed it… the couch.

No comments: