Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Oh Henry!

Are you adventuresome when it comes to eating different foods? I prefer to be adventurous in other ways…maybe a hike into the Grand Canyon…or a walk through Central Park at dusk, but not with my food. That’s sacred territory.

When I was a lot younger, I was pretty finicky so I stuck mainly to processed foods. Fritos, Devil Dogs, and Oscar Mayer Bologna were the base of my food pyramid. Over the years I branched out to include some nutrition. Today I am not as finicky, but I can’t eat, or even look at some of the things PaulA can eat…especially a food that beats me in a staring contest.

For lunch the other day, PaulA ordered the Wild Boar. Talk about adventuresome, I think the last time I saw a wild boar was on "Survivor"…running free through the jungle. Maybe I would consider sampling a tame boar…one that wasn’t so crazy. Nothing scares me more than a wild boar. Question to self: How do bores get to be so wild?

Back many moons ago, the original moon…our honeymoon…I didn’t eat anything the week we were in Antigua. Nothing I ate tasted like I was used to…not the dairy, meat…even fruits and vegetables tasted differently. I also wouldn’t eat fish or seafood…although I could and would eat shrimp. But I never saw shrimp on the menu.

Oh, but in the gift shop…I found Oh Henry! You know the chocolate bar with nuts…the original protein bar. I was so thankful for my savory savior, OH Henry!

So every couple of days I stocked up on Oh Henry! bars. The bars had the same taste I was used to back in the States…maybe a little staler, but they got me through our honeymoon.

The killer was on the last moon of our honeymoon…I decided to ask the waiter what the prawn dish was on the menu. And he replied “shrimp.” Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh….

So there we were on our romantic honeymoon….Three’s company…
Adventuresome Paul, Finicky Kat…and Oh, Henry!

No comments: