Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Appearances Can Be Deceiving

I learned something on my last flight. It’s tough to be a guy with ear lobe plugs, a nose ring, and full sleeve tattoos exposed on both arms…and go through security without getting extra attention. The reason I know this is because he ended up sitting next to me on my last flight.

When he first sat down he smiled and said hello. Although I was momentarily blinded by the gleam off his nose ring, I thought to myself, “What a nice person.” Then when the plane started its ascent, he offered me a stick of gum. I thought, “What a very nice person. That bull nose ring is starting to grow on me.”

After a little convo, I learned that he was actually a Tattoo Artist and had an art portfolio that was being made into a hard covered book. Through his business he did a lot of flying and was always profiled by Security. Every time he flew, they pulled him out of line, roughed him up, and searched through his belongings.

I say leave the guy alone. The tattoos, ear piercings, and nose ring are way too obvious. I’m more concerned about the little ole granny peering over the top of her glasses. I hope the Security people x-ray her cane…it’s probably hollowed out and carrying more than a bottle of Geritol.

So here’s the moral: Appearances can be deceiving. Don’t judge a book by its cover.

Oh, and I have one thing to add: Don’t judge a blogger by their blog. Give them a chance. Otherwise, I’m just a windbag of mindless thoughts…when in fact…I’m a Blog Artist.

No comments: