Monday, September 21, 2009

Destroyed Denim

I bought a jean skirt the other day and noticed on the receipt that it was listed as a destroyed denim skirt. And to think I paid real money for it...and not the funny money I ususally use that I print in my basement.

I’ve been noticing a progression in the fashion of the worn look. From brand spanking new…to pre-washed, then faded, then distressed, and now destroyed. What’s left in this vicious cycle of destruction?

If you happened to see any of the clothing during Fashion Week…you would have noticed the slashes and strategic peek-a-boos in the new fashion lines. I’m sure there is a real art to where those slashes and peeks are placed. The holey/peek-a-boo designer makes the big bucks. And they should! Put a tear in some random place that makes no sense…not good. Put a peek in a bad place……..definitely a boo.

Actors and “famous” people are trying to down play how much money they spend during this economic downtime by “disguising” their purchases in unmarked brown bags and buying clothes that are worn looking...tattered tights and jeans with holes. Hey, like we’re falling for those old tricks. I wasn’t born yesterday…or even a bunch of yesterdays before that. But I do know some things like…the cost of sheets go by thread count…and the cost of jeans go by hole count.

Ahhh…the holey jean…not exactly blessed by the Pope. Yep, I once bought jeans that were SO holey. HOW holey were they?…you ask. Let’s just say, they were so holey, I didn’t have to go to church for a couple of Sundays. Ba dum bum.

I don’t mind the worn look in clothing. Hey, I can look as damaged as the next person…just don’t make me dirty looking. ‘Sexy dirty’ is one thing…vavoom…but ‘dirty-bum-on-the-street clothing dirty’…is a cut from a different cloth.

I’m thinking of starting my own line of destroyed jeans…calling it "Obliteration." Nothing like a good Kat scratch to destroy a fabric. That will be $250 bucks please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you're so hip Kat!! Wearing the current day styles, sounds like you are staying fashion forward. maybe i should get some tips from you and some rips in my jeans!

-wishy