Thursday, April 3, 2008

Where's The Cloned Beef?

Would you eat meat from a cloned animal? Would you want to know it was cloned meat? The idea is not particularly appealing to me. I am trying to figure out why. Let’s see. If the cloned cow has the exact same DNA as the original…then it is the same animal. Why would it make a difference? I guess it doesn’t, but it just doesn’t sound very appetizing…sounds like I would be swallowing a science experiment. I don’t know…a sort of DNA “mixture.” (Rosie, I know you love that word.) I picture some scientist sitting in a lab, mixing DNA, and placing “the mixture” in petri dishes. Whala…Cloned Beef…special of the day.

Sometimes….it is just better not to know where the food you eat comes from. Ignorance is bliss, as they say. In college we had a friend Henry who was a very interesting guy from a farm in northern Vermont. Anyway PaulA and I had visited him on his farm, met his family and met his farm animals. One weekend we had a cook-out on Lake Champlain and Henry brought the burger meat. Which was all good…until he told us that it was actually Bessie his adorable cow…the one with the big eyes. All of a sudden it didn’t taste so good. The next cook-out…we had Henry bring the chips.

I just hope cloned meat is safe and that years down the road consumers of cloned meat don’t start making mooing sounds…or developing hoofs.

“Hey Moooooo-om….What’s for dinner?”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kat,
Believe it or not, I was actually thinking about Henry and that cookout the other day. In my new role as Mr. Mom I was in the supermarket and while lingering at the ground meat section, hoping for something dramatic to happen, I thought of Henry. I even remembered his name. ( There's not much drama in my life anymore so I take what I can get. Maybe that's a good thing.)
Anyway, he was quite a character. Especially for a city kid like myself. So it was funny that I open your blog and there's the Henry and Bessie story. Amazing...

BA

P.S. That was the bloodiest ground beef I had ever seen.

Anonymous said...

I was in junior high when Kat and Paul brought Henry to our house for a visit. Henry was the classic Vermonter. He made a coffee table for my parents from the trunk of a very large tree. It was really cool. You could see all the rings in the wood.