Wednesday, May 27, 2020

3-2-1 Blast-Off?


Countdown
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1…..

Today SpaceX and Nasa send a rocket into space
after a 9 year hiatus 
from launching astronauts from US soil to the International Space Station.  
During that time we’ve been hitching a ride from the Russians.  
It’s nice to have our own wheels or wings, for a change 
and not depend on someone else's schedule.  
There's always someone who wants to make an extra stop for a pack of smokes 
or something.

At 4:33pm ET on Cape Canaveral 
the astronauts will blast-off 
on a wing and a prayer.

The countdown begins...
10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1….WAIT ....
HOLD everything …

Houston we have some rain.
The FL forecast is for clouds and rain.  
Maybe a thunderstorm.

Come on Nasa… 
seriously?
First of all, 
you have to plan for rain.
Afternoon thunderstorms in FL are the norm.
The 10 day forecast shows thunderstorms for all 10 days. 
And
Secondmost of all...
I would think a rocket 
blasting off with 9 engines of fuel and a payload of 50,000 pounds
and traveling at speeds of 24,610 mph
could clear clouds that make weather.

I might, however, suggest RainX for the capsule….
it works like a charm on my car’s windshield.


Anywhoooo…

When I think of Nasa and astronauts 
I ALWAYS think of my Bro. 
When I was a babe. 
Not a babe, never a babe... but a young girl  
everything was about space, NASA, 
landing on the moon, etc.
My brother had said one day he was going to be an astronaut or work for Nasa.
  Being the pain in the neck, older by a year sister, that I am…
I razzed him and said if you are so sure then bet on it….
so he bet me a whole 5 dollars.
I wrote it down on paper and had him sign it so he wouldn’t squelch.  
That guy still owes me 5 bucks.  
I’m probably not the only sibling trying to collect on a decades old debt.  
Bro is actually smart enough to have worked for NASA 
he just went in another technical/computer space path.
But I'm pretty sure he could figure out the rain thang.

Maybe Nasa should have chosen the state of AZ instead of FL 
for lift off.  
AZ gets less rain...and my brother lives in AZ.  
And he wouldn’t owe me 5 bucks.


Whenever they give the all systems go,
I am rooting for a successful mission

and
wishing God speed 
warp factor speed
to our brave astronauts.


ps.  After I wrote this, I may have learned why 
the blast-off is a delicate dance
may I suggest the macarena
but blogger's have embellishment rights.
It's right there in the Blogger's Bill of Rights.

No comments: