Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Perfect Cold Patient


I am on Day 12 with this nasty cold. It is so bad. How bad is it? It is sooo bad…that if I lived in Boston, I’d be calling it a Monsta Cold. (Fenway's Green Monsta brings up other images for me.)


The reason I knew it was nasty…other than the lack of energy, stuffy nose, sore throat, nasal drip and coughing jags…PaulA has been tripping over himself to stay clear of me.


Anywhooooooooo………………..


I'm not a baby when it comes to colds, although I tend to whimper now and then. And sometimes I roll around in my bed, moaning and groaning. I never take cold medication, not because I’m a freak like Tom Cruise and don’t believe in meds…but I don’t think anything really helps, except massive sleep. Everyone has their own way of dealing with a cold…and we are all a little different.

When PaulA gets a cold…he soldiers on. He doesn’t let it stop him. He gets up and goes to work. He marches on…through the daily trenches of life.

When Colinboy gets a cold…he has to first make sure it is a cold…and not a rare disease from South Africa. He goes online to WebMD, researches his symptoms to rule out diseases such as necrotizing fasciitis…that nasty flesh-eating disease. He makes sure he is going to live another day.

When Chelsea gets a cold…she's looking for something she can take. She wants it over and over now. A trip to CVS, down the cold remedies aisle, and she is set to go…with a med for every symptom.

When Bri gets a cold…she never says a word about…let alone complain. She can have something wrong with her and I’m the last to know. When she had mono, she was walking around with a swollen neck gland for 10 days before she decided to show me her tree trunk neck.

Yes, the 5 of us are all different…but if you take the good parts of how we each handle a cold and combine them…we are……………

Someone who…doesn’t complain to anyone…and after ruling out Ebola disease from the Sudan …and taking massive meds…soldiers on through their day…and gets to bed early.

Together we make the perfect cold patient.

1 comment:

Bri @ Sea said...

so funny! and so true! that really is how we all deal with being sick!!