Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Take This Job and Shove It












“Take this job and shove it.”
“I ain’t working here no more.”

There probably isn’t a workin’ stiff alive who hasn’t thought those lines, sung by Johnny Paycheck, a time or two. Heck, even a stay-at-home mom has had them pass through her mind probably once or a million times.

But how many people have really said them out loud ....or over a loud speaker???

I’m sure by now you’ve heard of Steven Slater...the JetBlue flight attendant who quit his job in grand fashion. Apparently an unruly rude woman bonked Slater in the head while she was prematurely removing her bag from the overhead bin. When Slater asked her to remain seated until the plane stopped...she swore at him.

So instead of taking it on the cheek.....Slater, who had it up to his wings with rude passengers....took it on the other cheek. First, he cursed at the woman over the loud speaker, then grabbed a couple of beers and his luggage, deployed the emergency chute, and slid down it on his butt to the tarmac.

Talk about a grand exit. Slater has become a folk hero...at least on the internet. Heroes can come from different places. Let's not forget...Robin Hood, Daniel Boone, Zoro, and the Philly Hero with extra cheese...yum. yum.

Anywhoo.........

What method have you used to quit your job...email, text, skywriter, letter, lie?

Once I quit a job that I held for only 3 months in the Blood Bank lab of a hospital. My training period was over and I was scheduled to do a 3 month rotation on the night shift...aka...the graveyard shift 11pm – 7am. I decided that I wasn’t interested in graveyards...so I told my department that I was moving to Rhode Island because my husband was being transferred with his company. I admit...I felt guilty about my story...(even Kats can have a guilty conscious)...especially when my co-workers were asking me about the move.

I felt like a real heel when...on my last day of work they threw a party for me....complete with a cake that read, “Good Luck in Rhode Island.” I apparently chose the “Lie method” for quitting.

Everyone has their own way of quitting..................

Slater chose to ride out on the emergency chute. John Wayne chose to ride out on his horse into the sunset. And I chose to ride out...on a bloody lie.

1 comment:

big C said...

I never heard that story about you and your little white lie! hahaha that is so funny!